- 1/2 kg. of fresh mussels
- 1 tsp. of finely grated garlic
- 1/2 to 3/4 c. of your favorite cheese, grated
- extra virgin olive oil
Cleaning and preparing the mussels
- Wash the mussels several times. Place in a bowl and cover with water. Place in the fridge and allow to soak for several hours, changing the water every hour or so.
- Wash the mussels again and pull off the beards. If they had been soaked sufficiently, the beards should come off easily.
- Place the mussels in a baking tray and pop in a preheated 180C oven for about three minutes or just until the mussels partially open.
- Let the mussels cool a bit, then break off the half shells, leaving the meat intact in the other half.
Assemble and bake
- Arrange the half shells on a baking tray (a pizza dish was useful), dot with grated garlic (a toothpick is recommended), sprinkle with grated cheese and drizzle with olive oil liberally.
- Put back in the hot oven and bake for about a minute or just until the cheese melts.